Curso de Mestrado em Ciência da Informação
Discipline: Information Management and Environmental Scanning
Course Objectives and Teaching Methods
The objectives of the discipline are:
The course will be jointly conducted by professors Ricardo R. Barbosa of the Escola de Biblioteconomia of the UFMG and Chun Wei Choo of the Faculty of Information Studies of the University of Toronto.
- to discuss the role of environmental scanning as a function in an organizational information management perspective;
- to discuss the conceptual basis of environmental scanning;
- to discuss academic research in the area of environmental scanning;
- to discuss issues concerning the implementation of an environmental scanning service;
- to create the opportunity for conducting environmental scanning on the Internet.
Classes will be structured in the following manner:
- class discussion of assigned readings;
- participation in discussions through the internet;
- exercises and cases.
Students will be required to interview a manager and identify a particular information need. Using all available sources, he or she will make a report to the manager and the instructors, and later share the experience with the class.