INF 2176 Information Management in Organizations:
Models and Platforms
Intranet Design Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to introduce a systematic approach to designing an intranet as a platform for supporting an organization's information and knowledge management processes.
Students work in groups of five or six persons to design and partially implement an intranet with content and applications that address an organization's information and knowledge management needs. Use Quercus to form your groups and select presentation dates (March 16, 23, or 20).
Each group will
Students identify and approach a suitable organization to work with. Possible organizations may include:
- use the project Workbook to analyze the organization and design the intranet;
- prepare annotated Web pages that summarize how the intranet's features would function;
- deliver a 20-minute presentation that provides an overview of their project.
- an organization that is considering or implementing an intranet
- an organization that is redesigning an existing intranet
- a library in the U of T system or its affiliates
- FI Student Services
- FI Student Council.
The project Workbook helps each group to address the following:
1 Information Ecology
1.1 Describe the organization's mission and operating context, its information goals and practices, and how an intranet would help the organization achieve its information management goals
2 Information Behaviours
2.1 Identify sets of major users and their information preferences
2.2 Analyze their main work-related tasks and problems, including problem dimensions and information needs
2.3 Analyze their information behaviors in terms of information seeking, information sources, and desired information use outcomes
3 Intranet Design
3.1 Design the intranet homepage
3.2 Partially implement three Intranet features that address the organization's information management goals and support users' information tasks
3.3 Design the Intranet's site map.
The intranet design will be evaluated according to the extent that they achieve the following objectives:
Each group should submit via Quercus the following as PDF by 5pm the day before the date of their project presentations:
- The organization's information ecology and the users' information behaviours are thoughtfully analyzed
- Intranet goals are clearly explained and well-aligned with organizational goals
- Intranet features effectively support users' information tasks and desired information use outcomes
- Intranet features effectively address organization's information management goals
- Page designs facilitate information access and navigation
- Intranet site structure is logical, efficient.
- a completed copy of the project Workbook
- a set of annotated web pages from the intranet site
- the slides used in the project overview presentation.
The project Workbook may be downloaded here: Intranet Design Project Workbook. A Word file version is available here.
Students may find it helpful to review the design framework presented in class, and read the book excerpt.