INF 2176 Information Management in Organizations:
Models and Platforms
Assignment: Essay on How Organizations Use Information
The purpose of this assignment is to deepen students' understanding of how organizations use information. By examining the research in organization science and information science, students are encouraged to reflect on how information systems or services may be designed and managed to better address the information needs of an organization.
Each student is to research and write an essay in one of the general areas of organizational information use covered in the course: sense making, knowledge creation/sharing, or decision making. Your essay should do the following:
The length of your essay should be approximately 12 double-spaced pages. The essay is due on Oct 20, 2016.
- State clearly the title, purpose, and scope of your paper.
- Review a selection of the major research literature on the topic you have chosen. Discuss the research in terms of common themes and findings, strengths and limitations, and show how the research has increased our understanding of information seeking and use in organizations.
- Discuss the implications for the management of information processes and resources.
- Suggest information services, systems or practices that may be introduced to better support the mode of information use that you are analyzing. You may illustrate your suggestions with real-world applications or research projects, as well as with ideas of your own.
- Include a list of cited references.