INF 1230 Managing Information Organizations: Essay Assignment
The purpose of the essay assignment is to expand students' management knowledge by writing a short paper (approx. 10 pages) on an area of management theory or practice that is not covered in the course.Each student would write a short paper on one of the following topics:
Students who wish to write on another topic should obtain the approval of the instructor in advance.
- Diversity in the workplace,
- Knowledge management,
- Organizational culture, or
- Service quality.
The paper should provide:
In presenting an overview of the topic, the paper should discuss the following:
- a summary of the management theory or practice, including the main concepts and practical applications;
- a list of references cited in the paper - this list should be a selection of the major sources on the topic.
- main concepts and principles of the theory or practice;
- the problem it is intended to solve;
- types of organizations that have used it;
- tools or methods that are associated with it;
- its strengths and limitations.
The paper may also focus on a narrower context or aspect of a suggested topic; e.g. benchmarking in public sector organizations; ethnic diversity in the workplace; knowledge management in communities of practice; service quality in libraries.Students submit the assignment to the TA or instructor by March 5th, 2018. A late penalty will be assessed on papers that are handed in after the due date without prior permission from the instructor.